How to Cure Constipation
25th May, 2018
by : Intensity
Tags: Cure Constipation, How to Cure Constipation, Constipation Remedies, causes of Constipation
Common Problem Common Remedies
Facts about Constipation
- According to NIDDK, constipation is characterized by fewer than three bowel movements in a week
- Only 35% of people suffering from constipation consult physician
- While 35% of people use laxatives on their own
- Women are more constipated than men
- 22 to 34 gm of dietary fibre can help prevent constipation in adults
- Lower socioeconomic factors and lack of education are some risk factors of constipation
Are you facing problems in pooping? Do not worry, you aren’t sounding like an alien. There are millions of people across the globe that faces troubles due to poor bathroom performances which leads to inconvenience and discomfort all throughout the day.
According to the estimates, around 20% of the US’s population suffer from constipation. However, the data pertaining to prevalence of constipation in India remains unknown owing to the lack of clear definition of constipation. Thus, prior to enlisting some natural remedies for curing constipation, a glance through of what really constipation is and some most common symptoms would be an added advantage.
What is Constipation?
Constipation is defined as trouble in empting the bowels or feeling of obstruction or hardened feces that cause discomfort. In general terms, it is marked by the lower than normal rate of movement of food waste through the digestive tract. . In addition to it, multiple discomforts like bloating gases, lower back pain, anxiety and fatigue are some accompanying symptoms of constipation leading to poor quality of life
Major causes of Constipation:
Constipation is a common problem affecting people of all ages. Women are more prone to this problem in comparison to male. In addition to hormonal imbalance, the current change in lifestyle has exposed the people more towards the risk of suffering from constipation.
The sedentary lifestyle clubbed with poor eating habits and prodigious intake of junk and processed foods are some common causes leading to high rate of constipation among adults and children in current era. Some of the common causes of constipation are enlisted below:
Symptoms of constipation:
In the process of diagnosing the constipation, it is vital to identify the symptoms of constipation at early stage, to help take effective preventative steps at earliest. Enlisted below are few general symptoms of constipation:
- Fewer bowel movements than normal: The frequency of bowel movements differ from person to person, thus one needs to identify their pattern, if suddenly there is a change or decrement in your bathroom visit, it’s an indication of constipation
- Hard Stool: In such scenario, you may feel discomfort or pain in abdomen while passing the stool.
- Decrease appetite: When you are constipated, the digestive system does not function properly which leads to decreased appetite.
- Swelling and pain in abdomen: Due to hard and dry feces, one needs to push and strain the stool which leads to swelling and pain in abdomen
- Bloating of gases: Due to constipation, there is an increase in level of gas in abdomen.
- Headache: In certain cases, due to imbalance in digestive system, certain people suffer from headache and the overall quality of life gets affected.
Home remedies for Constipation:
In most cases, people prefer to opt for natural remedies to cure constipation looking over the rate of occurrence of constipation among the population. To simplify the understanding, we have segmented it into four categories:
1. Food remedies for curing constipation
- High-Fibre foods - that include fruits like banana, vegetables, beans, nuts, pulses, ancient grains and seeds
- Green-leafy vegetables - like spinach, coriander. Being a good source of magnesium with high water content help in curing constipation.
- Prunes and figs - that have certain amount of laxative effect that help cure constipation, when taken in small quantities daily
- Warm and Hydrating liquids - that helps to stimulate digestion of fibres and other food.
2. Foods Remedies for preventing constipation:
- High fat low nutrient foods - like cheese, chips, junk food, ice-cream, processed meat and frozen food products
- Fried Foods
- Refined flour
3.Supplements for constipation Relief
- Isabgol and Triphla - Herbal products that ensures effective digestion and reduces chances of constipation
- Chia Seeds, Pumpkin seeds and Flax seeds - which are rich in fibre and healthy fats that helps absorb water
- Cod liver oil - Taking 1 tablespoon of cod liver oil with carrot juice early morning helps to stimulate bowel movements with ease
- Apple fibre - which contains an insoluble fibre known as pectin helps make the stool become bulky and flow through digestive tract easily
- Probiotics - that helps clean the intestinal tract
- Aloe Vera Juice that reduces inflammation and enhances the frequency of bowel movements
4. Lifestyle trends to prevent constipation
- Regular exercise: that - strengthens the muscles of intestine to support bowel function
- Lead stress-free life Few ways to relieve stress include yoga, meditation, reading book, warm baths, messaging etc.
Constipation is characterized by irregular bowel movements causing pain in abdomen, bloating of gases and discomfort that affect the overall quality of life. The key to prevent from being constipated calls for inclusion of balanced diet marked by high fibre food, warm liquids, regular exercise, and stress -free life with useful supplements like castor oil, flax seeds and isabgol.